Landlords, do you know your responsibilities?

Landlords, do you know?
Gas appliances MUST be serviced at least every 2 years. Usually manufacturers recommend that their appliances be serviced annually. Do you know your risk? Check below. Your responsibility does not stop here!

Energy Safe Victoria advises that the Residential Tenancies Act 1997 requires landlords to ensure that rented premises are maintained in good repair. That includes all gas appliances provided; these must be safe to use and be properly maintained.

This includes ensuring that

  • Only a licensed gas-fitter does gas-fitting work 
  • All appliances are safe for use before 
re-letting a property 
  • All appliances, pipework and flue systems 
are installed and maintained correctly
  • Pipes are correctly sealed if appliances are removed
  • All safety checks and details of work 
done on gas installations are recorded

FROM 31 MARCH 2013, rooming house operators must comply with safety standards

Failure to meet your responsibilities can cause death, serious injury &/or serious property damage


NB: Tenants also have responsibilities, including reporting appliance faults to the landlord or the landlord’s agent.

Their gas safety comes first

What happens if one of your appliances is found to be dangerous?

If any of your appliances is found to cause CO emissions or if it shows signs of poor performance, we will recommend a full service, plus repairs or replacement as applicable.

We can't leave you at risk and non-compliant and you can't take the risk!  So, if you don't want the appliance serviced or repaired at the time, for whatever reason, we will ensure your safety by disconnecting dangerous appliances until the problem can be fixed.

It may be inconvenient , it is also your guarantee that we are serious about gas safety.

NB: For your safety, we must report the risk to Energy Safe Victoria when property owners or managers refuse to address the problem.

Quick risk checklist & reliable solutions

Contact us

Please contact our office on: 

0414 335 463 or (03) 9852 3109 or via email us using our form. Click here

Carbon Monoxide

Do you know that you cannot smell or see Carbon Monoxide (CO)? Yet at high levels it can kill a person in minutes! Gas heaters are a common cause of risk when they are not properly maintained.